Fill The Void



I am happy to announce that I have been awarded a spot in D&T Publishing's upcoming novel: Fill The Void. I am one of fifteen authors chosen to write a chapter in the novel (Chapter 2, as a matter of fact). Fill The Void is an apocalyptic themed story, set in a world devastated by an nuclear blast (and/or EMP). As a child of the Cold War, this particular story line really resonates with me. It taps my long-standing fear and anxiety of nuclear annihilation and explores what happens to humanity afterwards.

As I understand it, each author will be given 30 days to write their chapter before handing it off to the next author. As you might expect, this is going to be a very organic sort of story approach (which I appreciate, being that's how I write most of my own stories). There's a terrific group of authors tasked for this novel and I am very excited (and honored) to be included. Look for release sometime in 2021. 

Following is my entry for the contest itself. While I don't think that this will be a part of the chapter that I write, I thought it might be interesting for my regular readers/followers: 

"Flies. I never thought I would see so many flies. Before the lights flickered out for the last time, they blackened the windows of every home you passed. You could hear their maddened, frenzied buzzing from the street as they spent their tiny lives trying to escape the carnal houses in which they’d been born. There’s not as many now — now that it’s turned colder, but you still see the occasional carrion fly float lazily through the fall air; its blue black body dazzling in the autumn sun; its flight erratic and labored… as though all our mortality has somehow weighed it down. They are the last survivors of the apocalypse… like me."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt from The Wheel